Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I Ran, I Sweated, I Conquered

Some of you may know that I ran the NYC Marathon In November, 2011 in memory of Dori Brown. I trained with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, and all went well until sometime in late October when I felt I was running in lead boots. The Marathon didn't go well for me. I tripped and fell at mile 2, and I only ran 17.5 of the 26.2 miles. I retired from running shortly thereafter.

Today, for the first time in 20 months, and with the support and advice of my running sons Mark and Harry, I went for a jog. I couldn't even find my running shoes, and I wasn't sure if I had a pair of running shorts I could pull up over my hips since I have a 5-lb. mass of fibrous tissue strapped across my waist. In case you're curious, it's somehow gvh-related but I forget what caused it. Anyway, the gear issue worked out, and I sort-of-ran about half a mile on flat terrain. I had no problems with breathing, but I still had the lead-boot thing going. My muscles are so weak, probably due to long-term prednisone use.

I'm determined to increase the length of my run. It's challenging to do something you used to love, and now seems nearly impossible.

I want to give a shout-out to my friend Ann who's facing new challenges with her gvh, nearly 5 years after her transplant.

1 comment:

George Jempty said...

Good for you! I just took a job 1.1 miles from my apt. and got a bicycle for the commute. Want to work up to riding to my UPS store on weekends (a 10 mile round trip) and from there who knows.