Thursday, September 10, 2009

Changing Blood Types

Yesterday we spent 7 hours at the clinic. My red blood cells are a little pokey, so I needed 2 units of blood. This is apparently normal when your donor is a different blood type than you are. I'm 0+ and he's A+, and the difference makes for extra drama on the counts front. Eventually, I will convert to A+, but in the meantime I must patiently wait for Mr. Donor to start churning out more A's.

I'm getting stronger every day, but that's not enough for me. I want to be well NOW. Especially annoying is that I seem to have misplaced my joie de vivre. Everything seems like a chore, and I find myself staring at the boob tube because it requires no thinking, decision making, or even much cognitive functioning.

Today I hope to make it to my son's cross country race. The risk will be minimal because we'll be outdoors and I can easily avoid crowds. Who knows? Maybe I'll find a piece of my joie de vivre watching a hundred runners thunder across a grassy field.

4 comments:

George Jempty said...

Good luck in the race Harry! Hang in there Patty!

Anonymous said...

I am in awe that you should be feeling strong enough even to think of going to see Harry run. Don't forget a tremendous fight is going on in your body. I'm sure your joie de vivre is just hiding for the moment. May it pop out soon, as strong as ever! Hugs, Brenda

Ronni Gordon said...

Glad you're feeling a little better. I was there a day after you, getting two bags of red blood cells and a bag of platelets. I sure know about wanting to be better quicker. It will come. One day at a time!Sounds like you're doing great just getting out to see your son run.

Anonymous said...

It's heartening to see that you're doing well. I admit I'm afraid to look very often. The last time or two I checked, I missed your August 5 comment about generally wishing one didn't exist, which is how I've been feeling more and more these days. Sorry: you don't need to hear that, but I need somebody who understands. Maybe it's worse only because I have papers to grade.
--Love, John