Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dana-Farber Appointment

I return to my old stomping grounds next Tuesday. I never thought I'd be so excited to go to a Cancer Institute. Dana-Farber is one of the best places to go for a stem cell transplant. They do a lot of them, and do them well.

Having survived two transplants there, I am biased. The nurses and support staff are terrific, but it's my doctor who I believe is the best person to evaluate my pesky graft versus host symptoms. He's also great to talk to, about baseball, travel, fiction and of course transplant science. He's the director of the transplant unit at Dana-Farber, and it's easy to see why.

Enough fawning. I'm taking Amtrack to Boston early on Tuesday and have an appointment at the end of appointments which means I'll have a goodly amount of time to discuss and get input on my health. Maybe I can join clinical trial. Maybe my meds just need adjusting. It's a second opinion worth receiving.

I'll spend the night with friends in Providence and then take the train back on Wednesday. I can't leave Marty and Turbo alone for long because they get confused and can't find things.

No comments: