Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Another Day, AnotherMelanoma

The freckle/mole turned out to be evil. The biopsy tested positive for melanoma "in situ." The surgeon's office will contact me to schedule an appointment.

But there's something more worrisome I noticed last week. I felt something on my breast as I was drifting off to sleep. I had a dream that there was a lump that covered the half of my upper lip. I kept feeling my lip the next day, but there was nothing there. A few days later I realized that it wasn't my lip, but on the outer edge of my right nipple. it's quite hard and follows the shape of the nipple, maybe half an inch long and a quarter wide. I just had a mammogram in April. Maybe this is a plugged duct or something having to do with my skin issues.

Have you read the articles about the blood cancer patients in The New York Times? Through connections and gobs of money, they had their genomes mapped to find which one (or more) was responsible for turning on their cancer. An ALL patient survives (so far) and a woman with a rare T-cell skin disease was treated and died a few months later. They said that maybe they'll be able to do this for everybody 10 years from now.


In the meantime, stay away from toxins because they also throw the switch. I'm sure my 16 rounds of chemo and 7 radiation treatments are churning around inside me, a deadly stew waiting to poison me in new and interesting spots. 


Carpe diem!

3 comments:

Ann said...

What does your doctor have to say about the lump on your nipple?

Sue said...

It's good that the bad mole was caught early at least.

Ronni Gordon said...

Geez. It's always something. Yes, what about the lump on your nipple? Hope you don't mind that I borrowed your headline. And with our skin cancers, here we are,dopplegangers still.