Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Breakfast for Dinner

Every so often, my family likes to take a break from the protein/starch/vegetable dinner dialectic and have breakfast instead. Last night, we had corned beef hash, eggs and Pillsbury "Butter-Tasting" biscuits. I was immediately suspicious about those biscuits, knowing full well that they contained faux butter, whatever that is. Then I made the mistake of reading the food label on the can of corned beef. We consumed so much cholesterol, I was was sure the blood in our arteries had turned to sludge.

I calculated that I myself had swallowed 550 mg. of cholesterol, 250 mg. more than the American Heart Association's daily recommendation. Whoa! No wonder I felt greasy and bilious afterwards. Marty decided to put off his fasting lipids test for another day.

What's amazing is that some people have this type of breakfast for breakfast nearly every day, perhaps substituting bacon or sausage for the hash. It's Lipitor to the rescue!

Chastened, I plan to counterbalance yesterday's gluttony with a more Spartan diet today. Breakfast consisted of cooked oatmeal with 1% milk and a drizzling of maple syrup. How virtuous!

Tomorrow, I'm going to Boston for my super-duper 100-day post-transplant check-up, only it's day 96. My lungs will be the focal point for some reason. I have to submit to a pulmonary function test and a chest x-ray. These are easy to handle and involve no pain. It's the bone marrow biopsy (my 13th in 21 months) I'd prefer to skip, both for the discomfort it causes, and the 4 or 5 days of anxious waiting for results.

Where's my Ativan?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've been having my own overdose of corned beef hash for breakfast the last couple of weeks. getting up early to go work on the trailer, building up an appetite and going out to breakfast at the local cafe.

believe in the power of prayer. so far, mine have been answered with regards to your recovery. love you sis. Chris