Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How I Want to Be Remembered

Don't worry. I'm not planning my funeral yet. Or anytime soon. The idea for this post came from a question posed by Leroy Sievers in his blog "My Cancer." Unfortunately, Mr. Sievers is getting uncomfortably close to thinking about his memorial service.

I would like to be remembered as someone who could move personal mountains, meaning I was always up to the task and could even light a fire under those who didn't share my enthusiasm. I'm pretty sure I was born with this tenacious trait. I humbly recognize I will not be able to move the final mountain.

I would like to be remembered for my sense of humor, without which I would not have survived to this point. I inherited this from my grandfather who combined desert-dry wit with a highly cultivated morosity--the world was too much with him.

Miscellaneaous fortes: brewing a mean cup of coffee; turning a phrase; always choosing the right container for the contents; color perception and its various uses.

Things I love: the comfort of sylvan scenes (see Wordsworth); experiencing something new; knowledge. My family goes without saying, but I've said it anyway.

Things I can't abide: spectacle (this includes Broadway musicals, circuses, etc.); animal cruelty (did I mention circuses?); most isms, but especially racism, sexism, consumerism; willful idiocy.

Foibles: I think I'll save this for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should have included
Outstanding blogger/writer. I commend your writing ability. It brings a smile to my face. Thank you.

Jennifer
aka Clanc from LLS