Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cankles and Other Swell Side Effects

My shapely ankles have disappeared. That spare tire around my mid-section isn't from overeating or lack of exercise. Edema, my internist said yesterday. Maybe from going off the blood pressure medication.

It will go away, I know that. But this morning after breakfast, when I noticed that my right arm had a huge lump below the elbow and what looked to be general swelling, I panicked. I immediately got on my bed and put my arm on a pillow. This is what you do for swollen ankles, so why not? I called my internist and left a message. That he hasn't called me back says that he's not worried. The lump has gone away and the swelling is a little less.

Is it my kidneys, my liver? Both are being affected due to the iron-removing drug Exjade. Will these bizarre and worrisome side effects never cease? I feel like I'm trapped in my own little "House" episode. Treat one symptom, and something else alarming pops up. Yesterday, my internist handed me a referral slip for a urologist because I have white blood cells in my urine. In a previous check, there had been red and white cells. He also called in a prescription for Lipitor to help lower my cholesterol, which is slowly lowering itself since the steroid taper began. He also told me we would have to monitor my liver enzymes carefully because if they were to shoot up again, taking Lipitor can be dangerous. Oh jeez.

This really is a colassal bore.

1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

As I sit here taking my night-time pills, all I can say is I know exactly what you mean. Fix one thing, another goes. Fix that, get side effects that need to be fixed...

Very frustrating!

Hang in there. Next thing you know, you'll be fixed up again.