Monday, October 10, 2011

I've Had Enough!

I reached some decisions over the past few days. I realized I was mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.

I've contacted a different cancer center and hope to see a new oncologist pending their acceptance of my insurance. I told my oncologist I'm stopping photopheresis treatments and want to schedule having my catheter removed. I've done this treatment for 8 months now, twice weekly, with no measurable benefits. My skin is worse than ever.

I called my ophthalmologist and requested they send my records to the Boston Sight Foundation so I can apply for financial aid for the PROSE lens. My insurance company won't pay for it in NY and there's a chance they will in Boston. If accepted, I'll spend 2 weeks there getting fitted. Since this is the worst quality-of-life issue I face, I plan to push for it.

There comes a time in every chronic illness where you say, that's it. You put your faith in the medical community and believe they'll do everything in your best interests. Now I see that's not necessarily so.

You're fired!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Patty,
I know I can always count on you to fight your own battles, the way they should be fought! Go for it, you'll come out ahead, once again!
Love,
Patty

Patty said...

How did that come out as Mom - some adult kid messing with my computer!

PJ said...

That's okay, my mom would've said the same thing!

Sue LaPorte said...

Good for you! You are your own best advocate. Take care and be strong. Although I guess that last bit was unnecessary, cuz I KNOW you're strong!