Wednesday, November 28, 2012

New Oncologist

No, I'm not leaving Dr. Giralt at MSK; and Dr. Antin at Dana-Farber says he'll always be my doctor. I've been very lucky with most of my oncologists.

Yesterday, I went to the Catskill Regional Medical Center to set up a relationship with a new oncologist, Dr Sethi. NYC  is a 2.5 hour drive. This facility is 25 minutes away. I'll be able to get my Vidaza treatments there. As a matter of fact, I already have my next series of shots in 2 weeks. I already met all the nurses who work in the infusion lab. They seem very nice but were curious as to why I prefer injection to infusion. For me, getting a shot means something positive--the flu shot, vaccinations. An infusion takes me back to Cancer World--blood transfusions, platelets.

Dr. Sethi was nice, and knowledgeable. He admitted right away that it would take him a while to digest my history. He also planned to call Dr. Giralt to discuss my case. He advised that I use the hospital for routine things like blood work. If I needed to be hospitalized, he'd admit me at Catskill, but would prefer I go to a larger hospital in Middletown, an hour away. This makes a lot of sense. At that point, I'd probably go to NYC, say if I needed a bone marrow biopsy.

I'm feeling great. My doctor army is poised and ready to do battle. I hope they remain at ease for a long time.


1 comment:

Paula said...

PJ,
I hope they remain at ease for a long, long time!