Friday, October 5, 2007

Only 10 AM and I'm Ready for a Nap

"This is not an easy life. But it's the only life we have, so we might as well get on with it." --Leroy Sievers, author of "My Cancer" blog on NPR.org

I think I read somewhere that a reliance upon quotes demonstrates an absence of ideas. That may be, but something about Mr. Sievers' straight forward eloquence made me want to share his wise little nugget with you. Somehow, it makes my exhaustion easier to take. Today, it's exhaustion; yesterday, indigestion; but, hey, I'm not in any pain. I'll take it.

Writing no doubt takes more energy than I can afford, but I've promised myself to take a nap after this. I don't seem to have a reliable internal measure of when I'm over-doing it. It could be that I'm having trouble reading my body's signs in general, which makes sense given what's been done to it and how much medication I'm on. (Blame it on the meds--my favorite). The doctors assured me there'd be days like this.

No, life ain't easy sometimes. Or even much of the time. As my neighbor Gil used to say, what's the sense in kickin'. This is a sleepy morning, maybe a sleepy day. I wish I had more energy. Maybe later. Might as well get on with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I came across this quotation from Susan Sontag, and I thought you'd appreciate it right now:

"The writer is either a practicing recluse or a delinquent, guilt-ridden one; or both. Usually both."

p.s. Sorry about the Yankees--well, not really. ;)