Monday, October 8, 2007

Sans Sang

Here it is, 11:30 in the morning and I'm lounging on my bed wrapped in an afghan and enjoying the heat emanating from my laptop. Normally, this would be the job of a cat, but I don't have a cat, and this way I don't have to deal with the hair. I'm suspecting that laptops when used on laps possibly result in an increased incidence of lap cancer. I ramble.

Given my malaise, you'd think I actually did something today but you'd be wrong. Unless of course you consider passive "doing," in which case I suppose I never stop. My friend Andria in a recent email reminds me that I am a 24/7 blood-making machine, which is true. Today I just feel bloodless. (Apologies to those of you out there who actually speak French and are wondering what the hell "sans sang" means. I'm hoping it means bloodless, but I feared looking it up because I was so taken with the euphony of the phrase. Plus I really needed a title.

I had a revelation today. Maybe that's why I feel so listless. I was thinking about all the help I've been receiving from others--the shopping, the cooking, the chauffeuring, the laundry, the disinfecting of the kitchen--and I realized how much work I used to do every day without being aware of it. Sincere thanks to all of you who've already put in your hours; advanced thanks to those of you who've lined up for future tours of duty in the home of your poor bloodless friend/sister. And let's hear it for all of you out there who dutifully perform the daily grind in your own homes. I'm tired for all of you.

Marty just came up with a stack of laundry. He thought he was off for Columbus Day! Tote that barge, lift that bale.

I have to cut this short because my baby blood cells are working a double-shift.

1 comment:

Renee and Sam said...

Patty, Since I am a bonafide French speaker, I can validate that "sans sang" does mean bloodless. I hope your slog grows progressively easier. I had some beautiful quotes to share with you, but now that I am ready to send them to you, I can't find them...arggh! Renee