Monday, July 28, 2008

"I was only waiting for this moment to be free"

Just got back from a 3-day trip to visit friends in Pennsylvania who have a house on a lake. This was our first trip since my transplant, and it was not what the doctor ordered. My transplant doc is fairly conservative, and although I generally hang on his every word, I'm beginning to chafe at many of the restrictions I've lived under for nearly 11 months.

Here are some of the no-no's of my mini-vacation:
contact with children
sun
a martini
dinner with 10 people
eating slightly underdone steak

In my defense, I'll assure you that I obsessively and scrupulously applied sunscreen, as well as hand sanitizer. I did not have close contact with the children in question, my nephews ages 2 and 4. They appeared quite healthy, and we were mostly outside. I have no explanation for the martini (which was delicious), and all I can say about the steak was that it was much better than the gray stuff I've been gnawing on.

Counter-balancing these forays into medically questionable territory, I:
jogged a total of 7 miles
biked 5 miles
slept late
relaxed
ate well
laughed
socialized with family and friends
forgot about cancer

I appear unscathed, although I had a very realistic dream last night in which I was tormented by a sore throat and hacking cough.

Next time I'll fly a little further from the nest.

5 comments:

Jim said...

Love it, love it! Steak and martinis. Way to reclaim some of your turf, PJ! Jim

Ann said...

My transplant doctor gave me the okay for alcohol before a year was up. I think it all has to do with the doctor and I seriously doubt one martini is going to do you in. Especially if there was an olive in it. That counts as a single vegetable serving as far as I'm concerned. I am horribly jealous about the steak, though. My leukemia doc told me I had no restricitions, so I made a play for underdone steak. General Chris put that dream down pretty quickly. One day.

Anonymous said...

Good for you PJ - I am glad you enjoyed yourself - you did didn't you? Sometimes you just have to bend the rules a little to keep your sanity!

Kunal B said...

"forgot about cancer" -Q.E.D

Anonymous said...

It must feel good to know parts of you are more youthful than our nephews.