Thursday, February 7, 2008

Light Reddish Chestnut

My son Mark helped me pick out a hair color yesterday. For a moment, Patty Hearst crossed my mind. Didn't she dye her hair black? That Tania. Anyway, Mark wanted a plum shade that I thought was a little too too, so I went with "light reddish chestnut." I'm excited about ditching the gray and changing my hair color, but Prudence made me read the directions which advised testing first for an allergic reaction. Normally I'd poo-poo such caution, but I realized I have no idea what I'm allergic to. My new immune system seems to be okay with peanuts, but who knows how I'll react to things like pollen, cats, dust mites, hair dye. An allergic reaction is something I don't want to provoke, so I'm being careful (for a change) and doing the test patch on my arm. So far, nothing.

Mariel arrived safely in Quito and aside from being tired (possibly due to the altitude), she's settling into her new home. She has a view of the mountains from her bedroom window. Her host family consists of parents, children and grandchildren, so it's a busy place. They all got together for a big lunch yesterday featuring one of her favorite dishes, arroz con pollo.

After the dye job, I'll try to post a picture.

No comments: