Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Staggering Sum of Incredible Coinage

Last night I was able to access my health insurance profile on line. I'd had to jump through a number of hoops earlier in the week, and then wait for my activation code to arrive by snail mail, and then try to remember yet another username and password I'd created, forgotten and fortunately had had the foresight to write down even though we are told to NEVER do such a perilous thing. (Is anyone else driven mad by all the crap they have to remember, especially these secret codes?) Truthfully, I wasn't sure I wanted to find out how much cash had been spent on my illness. I knew it had to be a lot. Mordant curiosity got the better of me and I clicked. The first figure I saw totaled all the charges billed in the last 6 months. That would include my transplant. Going back 24 months, I could see how much had been billed since my diagnosis, which will be 2 years ago next month. Billed but not payed, because the insurance company never pays what's billed. Still. I'd better survive this thing. And then go on to save the world or something anything to prove I was worth it.

I don't really look at it that way, of course, but I'll admit to being bowled over. If I didn't have health insurance would I even be writing this?

Guess I'd better start looking and feeling like a million bucks.

No comments: