Thursday, March 13, 2008

All Boy

The results are in. My bone marrow shows 100% XY cells which means they are not mine. I should soon know whether I still have mixed chimerism (meaning cells from both donors) or whether one of them has muscled out the other. This is excellent news by the way, because my blood and bone marrow (XX), with its potentially leukemic properties, has been effectively banished.

Maybe this explains why I can suddenly do push-ups. In the past, I was only able to do one or two "real" push-ups, the manly kind where you don't bend your knees. My daily calisthenic routine has always included 20 bent-knee push-ups. Having read an article recently about push-ups being a measure of overall body strength, which unfortunately decreases as we age, I decided to see how many straight-leg push-ups I could do. Last night, I did 6. This almost killed me. My goal is to work up to 10. This boy blood's the best.

3 comments:

bravenewfrickenworld said...

Congratulations. This is great news!

Anonymous said...

I've been catching up on your plog while procratinating finishing my taxes. I'm glad you're doing so well six months out.

Thinking of Mariel's b.d. reminds me of having lunch with you and my friend Jane at a restaurant in the city 20 years ago when you were pregnant with Mariel, already centimeters dilated and unruffled. Jane still comments on your composure with admiration.

Susan

Unknown said...

congrats! heard the news from my mom yesterday & also heard we might see you for passover!! Brie & I are both hoping you'll be able to come down to PA for the holidays :)