Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Handknit Sweater, Unedited Version

It's taken a while, but here's a shot of me modeling the sweater I knitted during the winter of my discontent. I wore it on an outing yesterday, and a friend suddenly blurted out did you KNIT that YOURSELF? Yes, but it took blood, sweat, tears, my patient mentor, the internet and some unorthodox techniques to finally produce something resembling a sweater. What you can't see in the photo is that the thing's way too wide and one sleeve is longer than the other and I mis-knitted about 50 stitches. At one point, I almost threw the various parts into the fire. Writing can be like this for me, too. I begin with what I think's a great idea. I start stringing together words and thoughts. When I go back to it, I see it's not working, so I rip out some sentences, cut and paste a few phrases and forge on. Finally, if I haven't given up, I weave together the pieces and see what it looks like. If I think it hangs together, I might share it. I might send it to a magazine, where the sleeves will be shortened and the buttons changed. That's what I missed while knitting this sweater, a good editor. I don't think there is such a thing as a sweater editor, but there should be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has the sound of an Andy Rooney piece.....so maybe you could send the sweater to him - he could use the wideness...as for the sleeve business...I don't know if I've ever seen him move both arms at the same time.....maybe that why...?

Kunal B said...

I think you look maahvellous, if I may say so! If you do need a sweater editor, send the business my wife's way, please! ;) She loves to talk purls, knits..