Saturday, March 22, 2008

Creakiness & Crocuses

My joints ache. I'm walking like a very old person. This is not fun. I was up last night for hours trying to get comfortable. Finally, I gave up on sleep and wandered around the house for a while, eating pretzels and trying to work out the kinks. In me, not the pretzels. When I woke up this morning, I was creaky and cranky. Poor me.

To take my mind off my sudden descent into geriatric hell, I went outside for fresh air. I noticed the crocuses were struggling to get some air of their own, covered by piles of leaves I wasn't allowed to rake last fall. I got a rake and a mask and went to work. This made me happy, even though I felt a touch of anxiety about the fungal spores I may have exposed myself to. I'm tired of being fragile.

Most 100-year olds wouldn't do what I did next, which was go for a jog. I thought it would loosen up my joints and make me feel more sprightly. It worked, but mostly on a mental level.

I am the Tin Man.

3 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Achy Joints can be one of the first signs of GvHD. Which can be a good thing. A reliable little bird at MDA tells us that DF is one of the best places for diagnosis and treatment of GvH.

Me and Ann are thinking about you all the time.

Chris

Ann said...

Bloody achy joints...it comes and it goes. Hang in there, PJ, this is just another step in the process. Whenever I felt a little more stiff than usual, I found that stretching and weight exercises helped tremendously. You're putting me to shame in the recovery department--keep it up!

Ann