Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Day in New York

When my friend Ronni goes to New York City she does fun things. When I go it's for doctor appointments and medical procedures. I try to thrown in a little fun, such as going to my favorite Korean salon for attention to my hands, feet and shoulders/back, and having lunch with my friend Jeffrey.

I took the bus to Port Authority Monday afternoon. It broke down so we waited for a new one and then ran into rush hour traffic. The C-Train (my old line when I lived in Brooklyn) took me to my friends' house where I enjoyed the best pad Thai I've ever had. Even though I had to be up early, I spent the night enjoying the food and especially the company.

After waking up many times during the night because they were paving the road out front, I dragged myself out of bed at 7 am and left the house by 7:45. It took me an hour to get to MSK, what with changing trains and connecting with a bus. Getting off the bus, I took a tumble. I didn't have so much as a scratch on me. Two kindly women help get me up and on my way.

The PET scan, for which I had to wait an hour, was okay. I was starving and had had no coffee, but what can you do? I saw my doctor late, too. Everything is fine. My fasting blood sugar was 99 so I don't have to worry about diabetes, and we have a plan for prednisone reduction. He wants me to see a neurologist to address falling issues and the fact that sometimes I walk like a drunken sailor. If you see me on the street, keep an eye on me and be prepared to be a Good Samaritan.

I ate a granola bar and picked up a fruit smoothie on the way to my favorite nail salon, where the women fuss over me like a seldom-seen child. It was great. Unfortunately I missed meeting Jeffrey for lunch because it got so late. I trained and bussed back to Monticello where I'd parked my car. It felt as if a week had gone by. Last night I slept for 10 blissful hours. Today my legs are sore from the 2 miles (at least) I'd walked and the 100 stairs I climbed.

Ah, the country life. NYC sure takes the juice out of you.

1 comment:

George Jempty said...

Was the C-train when you lived in Ft. Greene? Because I remember when I lived with you guys off King's Highway, it was the D-train. I remember being on platform once in the city and somebody asking me which train it was for, and either because of the din, or the similarity of vowel sounds, he couldn't make out that I'd said "D", so when he asked me to repeat myself, I told him: "D, like death"