Monday, January 28, 2008

Lip Service

Some of you may remember me referring to a common complication of transplant, graft versus host disease (gvhd for short). As a cord blood recipient, I'm less likely to develop this problem because the cells I received were brand spanking new and therefore brought only the rudimentary makings of an immune system along with them. The theory is, as the new system grows and starts attacking perceived enemies, it will recognize my organs as allies of sorts. Think of it as a mutual non-aggression pact.

I've been very fortunate that so far, my body has resembled North America more than say the Middle East. But I'm wondering if I don't have just a touch of skin gvh. I realize it's winter and everyone's prone to dry itchy skin, but my skin seems to itch from the inside. It's no big deal, and I wouldn't even mention it except a blogger friend and fellow transplantee has been writing about her skin issues and mentioned a little problem with her lip. Which got me to thinking about how I've had a severely chapped lower lip for months now. I've never been prone to this winter malady, not even in my skiing days. Also, instead of flaky crackness, my lip has more more of a scaly reptilian aspect. Could it be a sign of gvh? Gasp. I'll watch for molting.

I have my next clinic appointment on Mardi Gras, February 5th, and I plan to mention my lip issues to my doctor who will probably look at me like I'm crazy. It seems so minor and ridiculous, but you never know. I might have to go on lip steroids. I'm lippy enough as it is.

1 comment:

Ann said...

My skin woes also started as a strange itching sensation on the "inside." I also suffered from strangely chapped lips. I confronted my doctors from the beginning who kept reassuring me that I didn't have GvHD. I suppose I became so much of a pain that they finally set me up with the resident skin GvH expert. I wasn't crazy or suffering from some psychological break down; it was indeed GvHD. So, be insistent with your doctor. Trust me, the sooner you get steroid cream, the better you will feel. Also, I got a prescription for Atarax to help with the itching. It's a life saver. If you are diagnosed with GvH, I hope it's milder or as mild as mine. Go baby stem cells!
Ann