Wednesday, January 23, 2008

They Say It's Your Birthday

What made me go out for a run this morning at 7:30 when the temperature flirted with thirty? The flip answer is: because I could. The real reason I braved black ice was that today marks the completion of 54 years of living. There were moments over the past 22 months when I didn't think I'd survive to celebrate this day, let alone run two miles. My mother died of cancer when she was 53, and ever since I received my leukemia diagnosis at 52, it's been impossible for me not to dwell on her untimely death. Those were footsteps I did not want to follow.

What twisted plot line had led to this uncanny turn of events, threatening to write me out of the script? Any conspiracy theories out there to explain Death by Cancer for mother and child at precisely the same age? Could it be a long-forgotten family curse? Maybe a few crazy gods having a little sadistic fun? Totally bad karma? A genetically programmed time bomb? Coincidence??????

I'm here. I feel good. I hope I don't catch the cold Harry developed yesterday 5 minutes after I gave him a haircut. I already received the best present there is (that would be waking up this morning), and the next best will happen later tonight when I make my restaurant debut. Yes, I'm going out with my family to dine in a public place for the first time in 5 months. Marty, my personal body guard, already made a site visit to address safety issues and concerns. Could I want more than this? Maybe a glass of wine.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your field trip--God knows you deserve to. :)

bravenewfrickenworld said...

Happy Birthday! You are amazing. You are such an inspiration to me. Oh, that was corny. Sorry. But it's true.

Have a great time tonight. What a treat.

xo Leah