Friday, October 5, 2012

On Vacation

I'm on vacation from my life. Five women and I are in a villa on Sea Island in Georgia. One of the women is in a program like a time share, so this costs us nothing. The connection among us is that we all lived in Costa Rica at some point. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Skeet shooting, biking, kayaking and yoga are the activities of choice we've pursued so far. We've been making good food. There's no one to care for but ourselves. That's living.

My health issues have come with me, but I haven't been down in the dumps. I itch like crazy, and the water retention has reached epic levels. Even my eyes have been driving me nuts, despite getting a new PROSE lens. Debris is already settling on it, so I only get a few hours of clarity.

I've been sleeping well, sharing a bedroom with my old traveling buddy Judy. In our younger days, in Guatemala and Cuba, we didn't snore. Now we do. A little. It's been great sharing stories about our Costa Rica days and catching up on current life. I don't often speak about my Leukemia history, but these women have been asking me a lot of questions and I've convinced them to sign up to register to become donors.

The link always bears repeating: www.marrow.org

2 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Sounds like a wonderful escape. Can't they do anything about the itching? In the hospital I had ad RX for itching: Atarax. It made me sleepy but what the heck. Have you tried Benadryl?

George Jempty said...

Lori and I went to nearby St Simons Island a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it; rather than so much new development along the coast of the Carolinas or Georgia, it's an old village on the coast.