Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Bike is History

It's official. My platelet count has dipped below 35 so I'm not allowed to use the stationary bike anymore. It seems the docs are worried I might fall off it and bruise myself to death. What a way to go. Low platelets means that my body can't stop itself from bleeding. Once I fall below 10 platelets, they'll infuse me with some. The bike was wildly uncomfortable anyway, but it was a way to get some exercise. Maybe I'll start marching in place.

I can still use my arm weights, but I can't drop them on my toe. All sharp objects have been removed. If I had any hair to shave, I'd not be allowed to shave it.

With the drop in platelets, there's a corresponding drop in white blood cells. I've only got a handful of those. This condition is called neutropenia, and it calls for all sorts of safety precautions. That's why I'm in this special room with filtered air. That's why I can't eat fresh foods such as salad or fruit. Everything has to be cooked until it lacks flavor. My appetite is shaky enough as is.

I feel pretty good today.I finished one book this morning and plan to start another one after lunch. The chemo fog has lifted sufficiently so that I can concentrate fairly well. I do drift off to sleep suddenly, which is a good thing. I wish I could laugh more, but amusing things are severely limited around here.

I want to personally thank the Yankees for winning so many games the past couple of weeks. I look forward to this weekend's match-up between the Bombers and the Sox. Of course, being in the heart of Red Sox Nation, I have to be careful not to alienate my caretakers. They might take away the TV set claiming it's suppressing my red cells.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post seems like a ploy to make all of us who hate the Yankees feel guilty. :)
Enjoy your afternoon reading...

Unknown said...

When I told David Gold, a die-hard Red Sox fan, that Patricia gets cheered up when the Yankees win, he actually said "Go Yankees!" Patricia and the Yankees; Keep on winning, all!

George Jempty said...

my Mariners have done their part by losing 15 of 17 :( They had been 20 games over .500, right where the Yankees are now.

lenbob said...

Who are these Yankees to whom you keep referring?

Anonymous said...

thinking of you today...and thanking you for sharing your thoughts and experiences as you move along on this journey.