Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Falcon

After I've exhausted most of the other activities in my room--and this does not take long--I stare out the large window to observe the weather, the pigeons, the colorful row houses, a swath of trees, and the various mechanical appendages that perch on top of the area's medical buildings. Every so often, a falcon swoops down and spends some time seemingly observing the same things I'm seeing. Only, he's probably scanning the area for lunch--a tender tasty mouse or a neurotic spinning pigeon who seems to have forgotten the term "survival of the fittest." So far, I haven't seen any squirmishes, although I know it's just a matter of time. My lunch, whether I want it or not, is delivered sometime between 12:30 and 1:00 pm. Unlike the falcon, my food must be cooked beyond recognition to kill any lurking bacteria. No pigeon pie for me, unless it's thoroughly cooked.

The doctors say all continues according to plan. Aside from occasional nausea and a case of the blahs, I'm doing alright. By tomorrow, I should have no white blood cells.

Let the obsessive hand washing begin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,
Now as I read of your boredom, I think "If I only had the time to read all the books I want to read but never have the time", I am wondering - can you have books? Or are they too germ laden?
Working here at the library we can supply endless books, or even books on tape. DVD's of worthwhile TV & movie viewing. Just ask.
Kate Carroll & Maureen

Anonymous said...

Please pardon my cowardace. After reading Marty's post last Friday, I've been afraid to look again. So I'm almost as ashamed of myself as I am relieved that you seem so much like yourself again in today's posting. Easy for me to say, eh?

If you haven't already succumbed to watching TV, try Free Cell or something like that on the computer. It can eat up hours.

Hey, I was going to answer Vonnegut last Friday and claim the prize, but I was sure sixteen people would have been in ahead of me: were they?

John

Anonymous said...

How about a digital download - surely your own ipod would be "clean" and you can find all kinds of good stuff at audible.com. or directly to the computer is even easier I guess...

lenbob said...

Ummm, interesting that you discuss mice. I took the Prius in for routine servicing today. One of the items the tech inspects are filters because of the batteries required for the car. As I'm waiting for the car the service manager walks over carrying two trays; I thought she was going to offer me lunch. However, on the trays were 2 of the air filters in the car. It seems a mouse (mice?) were beginning to nest in the car. Her question was, "do you live in a wooded area?" I replied that I had for a almost a week. Aha, it has to one of your field mice! Check you Saab and get an outdoor cat!

Unknown said...

Dear Patty-Lou,

Perhaps you can consider your room your life-raft, from which you occasionally venture into outer space for exercise.

When you break down to watch t.v., I highly recommend the new Larry David season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" - the premiere was brilliant.

Love, Susie-Q

Anonymous said...

Hi sis, have you given the one or two blood cells left names yet?

and speaking of birds of prey, i saw a bald eagle once down by the river. i knew it was a bald eagle cause it had all its feathers combed over to one side. talk to you soon. Love, Chris