Saturday, September 1, 2007

Shake and Bake

I can't say I wasn't prepared for the side effects of the immunosuppressive drug made from rabbit serum (ATG). I mean, I knew it was serious when the nurse took out the epi-pen. The nurse monitored my vitals the entire 6 hours I was having the infusion. The first three-and-a-half hours passed uneventfully. We were able to joke about pesky wabbits, and told the old story with the punch-line/moral "hare today, goon tomorrow." Then it hit me. My temperature began to steadily rise and I got the chills. I was pretty much flattened for the next 14 hours, feverish and shaking. My nurse Vytus said they call it shake and bake. Cute.

Marty spent the night, but truthfully, I was not aware of most of what happened. I woke up around 8 am with a terrible hangover. By noon I was feeling better, but I slept a lot today.

I feel pretty good at the moment. My blood pressure's really low so they're bumping up my iv fluids which means more trips to the bathroom.

At least the epi-pen wasn't needed.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Why does this all sound familiar? Sorry it happened to you, too. It gets better from here on out.

Anonymous said...

Vytus sounds like a greek god - I realize you are getting the best possible treatment but you must know someone really good to have arranged for your own personal god to be in attendance!
Sleeps good - I'm thinking about you. Good night.
Emma

lenbob said...

We're glad to see you're back on line and feeling better. Guess the good news is that these treatments are available, and that you're mentally and physically strong enough to deal with all the side effects, even if you are a pinstripe fan in an island of Red Sox. Love from lenbob, Esther and Jeff.

Chris & Claudia said...

Good Morning!!
Greetings from the land of Moosehorn. Took the boys to track @ Goddard yesterday. I think my husband's driving will further encourage Mark to GET THAT LICENSE!! And I doubt your son(s) will ever sport a polka-dot welding cap. They probably think there's whole package that goes along with it-cigars, a pick-up truck, a deaf wife etc... Dropped Austin off at URI yesterday; a peculiar feeling. But you guys have a host of your own. We miss you dearly, and look forward to your return 'on the street'.