Saturday, September 22, 2007

Star Patient or Just Staying Alive?

Okay, so I engrafted more quickly than they predicted. I didn't develop the dreaded mouth sores that end up putting patients on TPN (artificial food--a bag of yellowish liquid they infuse directly into your body, no chewing necessary). I didn't develop pnuemonia. I did spike one neutropenic fever, a really good one. Is this because I am special in some way? Hogwash! I played by all the rules. I did everything they told me to do. They were pretty sure they could save my life, so was I going to argue over taking handfuls of gut decontamination pills? Sure, they're big and nasty and they sit in your stomach like a huge wad of high density sludge. No one wants to take these mothers, but who wants to risk contaminating their gut?

I knew eating would start to feel like slicing off little bits of my body and throwing them on a composte heap. Not pretty. But I forced myself to eat some little thing at every meal. I dreaded being hooked to that TPN bag filled with unnaturally colored, liquidy goo. I was determined not to be. I did the obsessive hand-washing bit. I did my exercises, though with less gusto over time. Why was I so compliant? Why was I so willing to push "my way" to the side and embrace "their way"? Had I been brain washed?

No, I simply want to live. I want to go downstairs in the early morning light and sip coffee in front of the computer, watching the birds find ways to jump-start their new day. I want to lie in bed and watch my husband sleep like a baby (unlike me who sleeps like a battle's raging). I want to hear my daughter talk about her classes, about ideas she has for an ethics paper. I want to listen to my oldest son discuss race strategy for the big meet Monday. I want to talk baseball with my youngest son. I want to laugh at how ridiculous the dogs look after their shearing. There are lots of things I want to do, but doing just the ones I mention would make me very happy.

As much as fighting the power has its appeal, staying alive is more compelling. I have a long way to go before they pronounce me officially cured (and to be candid, I may never be cured), but I'm getting another shot at it. So, short of cheering for the Red Sox, I'll do everything they tell me to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go, PJ! I have been reading your plog and am so proud of your progress. Hope you get sprung from that dratted hospital soon! We are still waiting for a donor match for Rachel, with God's help it will come soon!

Anonymous said...

Your a Star Patient in my book, PJ. Hang in there girl!

George Jempty said...

"Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of."
(Benjamin Franklin)

Chris & Claudia said...

How did you know that the dogs look ridiculous after their haircut? Well only Turbo, but it suits him. He's so cool. Kudos for obeying doctor's orders. I bet it's not easy. MEGA kudos for trusting them too. Hang in there. Can't wait to see you back on the street!