Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fever of 103

The long-awaited neutropenic fevers have settled in. This is the body's mechanism that kicks in when white counts are severely low. Basically, the body heats itself up to try to fry the bad guys. Usually, the fevers stay fairly low, hovering around 100 degrees. But sometimes they spike, and that's when the medical team swings into action, drawing blood, doing cultures, taking x-rays.

Last night, my temperature was 103 point something. Fortunately, Marty was there to hold my hand. This morning at 5, it was 100.1. This is probably what I'll be dealing with for the duration.

Which is why I was so pleased that no fewer than four of you left comments on yesterday's post indicating a favorite quote. That means I didn't have to do my early-morning research, which given the way I feel, would have been challenging. This means I won't have to do it for the rest of the week! Keep those quotes coming in.

Well, they just made my bed, so I think I'll crawl back into it. I'll try to write more later.

4 comments:

lenbob said...

Marty always said you were "hot," so it's a good thing he is there to hold your hand. A quote from Abraham Lincoln seems appropriate for you. "Always bear in mind that your own resolution is more important than any one thing."

Anonymous said...

Pwink,
I finally get it, takes me awhile with these computer things.
We (Jim and I)are beside ourselves that we can't be there with you. It is so hard to hear your "flatened" voice on the phone but we KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! Fight the fear and the bordom (because you are a woman who can never be doing nothing). You WILL prevail as always and you even might like onions...... As for a quote; I'm not too good at that, but here is a bumper sticker I saw years ago that sticks with me and is a motto:
"A Champion finds a way
A Loser finds an excuse
(Cross Country)
the Ultimate test of Body and Mind"
You may insert anything appropriate in place of "cross country", or not.
We send you LOVE and the POWER of POSITIVE ENERGY in FULL FORCE.
Love, Karen and Jim

George Jempty said...

Love you Patty, hang in there. You've seen some of my favorite quotes, they've been in my email. I'll repeat them if you'd like, here is my latest, I don't think I've emailed you with this one:

"No crime is so great as daring to excel." (Winston Churchill)

Sue said...

Here's a quote for the day from the WW literacy classroom -

"It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water." Franklin P. Jones

I look forward to hearing how your Conversation class explains that quote to you.

Sue