Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ploggin' On

Today the physical therapist arrived with some alternative exercises I can do to keep from turning into a pile of jelly. Frankly, these new offerings take almost no effort. One could easily fall asleep in the midst of them. The exercise bike has been replaced by a set of pedals that offer no resistance. You sit in a chair and place your feet on the pedals,and then you make some attempt at a pedaling motion. Pathetic. The therapist gave me a handout on exercises I can safely do in bed or in a chair. They're so safe and so effortless, you need a partner to check on whether you've inadvertently fallen asleep.

They started giving me a growth stimulating factor to boost white cell production, but it makes my legs, arms and joints seriously ache. This is mainly a problem when I want to go to sleep. Fortunately, they are very quick here to offer serious pain-killing meds. Suffering is kept to a minimum.

I've been here 2 weeks. Luckily, I haven't developed any fevers or opportunistic diseases. My days are all the same, but I'm not complaining. I'd rather have it stay nice and boring.

My only escape is dreams. Since I need to spend a lot of time sleeping to rebuild my blasted cells, I take full advantage of this activity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can think of all this as taking off from regular exercise for the holidays...
Wish you could have some apples and honey.
Love, Rebecca