Friday, September 14, 2007

Sunrise Over Boston

It looks like today will be one of the ten best days of the year. From my viewlet, not a cloud can be seen. It's supposed to be cool and dry, although that I can't confirm. You don't think they'd allow windows to be opened around here, do you? Mine is bolted shut. It's perfect baseball weather, as a matter of fact. And speaking of baseball, because you knew I would, the Yankees are coming to town. Three days of games between the Evil Empire and Red Sox Nation. (Last time I checked "empire" trumped "nation.") I'll be able to watch every game from the discomfort of my hospital bed.

The day might have started better, but then again, it could have been worse. At about 5 pm, the nurse comes in to draw blood and the aid takes vital signs. I try to stay very quiet, clinging on to sleep with all my strength. The nurse asks questions, which I don't answer. I don't want to be rude. I manage to fall back to sleep, but wake up around 6 pm with leg and hip pain due to a certain drug I'm taking to promote cell growth. I ring the nurse, who scurries in to hear my complaint, and then scurries out to get me something for pain. In the meantime, I sit up and look around for a glass of water, which I promptly knock over. Then it hits me--the relentless nausea. I grab a bucket and go through the motions. Meanwhile the nurse is back with pain meds, which I cannot take due to the nausea. The nurse rushes out to get some anti--nausea meds, and with luck, it will improve from here.

Today is my sixteenth day in the hospital, 7 days post-transplant. I am very fortunate that I haven't developed any fevers. I'm still eating fairly well. My sense of humor is badly bruised (damn those low platelets), but every so often it surfaces.

Carpe diem.

2 comments:

George Jempty said...

spoonerism I uncorked today (hoping you can see the humor in this); at work I was trying to tell somebody about my noisy seating apparatus but what came out instead was that my "square cheeks"

Patty said...

Patty, as usual Patty #2 has fallen way behind but caught myself up this morning! I'm pleased for you that after I fell asleep last night the Yankees came to your rescue, it leaves me a bit befuddled, but if it was for you, I guess I can accept it. Glad to see that you've figured those nurses out, not that you hadn't a year ago!! Can you receive visitors with your counts as they are now?