Saturday, September 15, 2007

Not-So-Mellow Yellow

Yesterday, my low platelet count meant I needed a transfusion. I've had many of these transfusions throughout the course of my leukemia. I refer to it as "mellow yellow" due to its rich caramel hue.

As with any blood product, you can have a reaction to it, from mild to severe. After all, it's someone else's fluid, not yours. The mellow yellow I received left me anything but mellow. First, I developed hives all over my body. Then I started coughing, and my nose became totally blocked. The nurse quickly gave me various antihistimines, which cleared up the worst symptoms, but I felt pretty out of it the rest of the day. I even developed a low-grade fever.

So, my friend Mecca who took the train from NYC to Boston mainly watched me doze. We were able to talk a bit during my more coherent moments.

I had spent the whole day looking forward to the Yankee-Red Sox game. Marty and I watched the first five disappointing innings. I could barely stay awake. Marty went home and I left the game on just in case the Yanks or I rallied. Well, I slept through the rally, but at least it happened. Today's a day game, so I should be in better position to watch it in its entirety. I won't be getting platelets today so hopefully my body will cooperate.

Just found out I'll be getting red blood cells today. Perhaps I'll get a boost.

2 comments:

Chris & Claudia said...

Patricia-
Hopefully your 'boost' will be in the form of a double-header; fortissimo for your being, and a win for the Yankees. Don't tell my sons I said that! Regards from Moosehorn.

Anonymous said...

Hi PAtricia and MArty - what a team you 2 are! I have just caught up on the last 10 days and I sit here in awe of your strength together. Being from down under I am not quite as wrapped up on baseball, we are following the All Black team in the World Cup rugby games, we've already accumulated 200 points - wonder if you can check our progress on your TV there? Nz are favourites at this point, and South Africa presents the most threat.
MInd you, the Aussies sure have strong fighting blood and they are not out of contention that's for sure!
Here it is Spring and your symptoms of hives and rash may be due to the pine pollen that many people react to around here ? Who knows?
I am enjoying the scent of fresias in the air, some very chirpy birdsong, and warmer days so please meditate on your pleasant memories of Spring for a while - lots of love, Dianne of the antipodes.