Monday, September 10, 2007

The Waiting Game

I had a dream last night in which I became a part-time patient. As long as I arrived at the hospital by noon, I was allowed to be on the outside a certain number of hours each day. The problem was, I never seemed to be able to get back in time, so they revoked my privileges.

Most of the day, I wait. I wait for meals to arrive, pills to appear, nurses to hang bags of meds, doctors to shuffle in with nothing much to say. We're all waiting for my blood counts to go down (they are), and for my new cells to engraft (not yet). Something else we wait for, but about which nobody speaks, are fevers to develop, infections to creep in, bacteria and fungus finding a microscopic chink upon which to gain a foothold. If I'm lucky, none of these things will happen to me. But they are all possible. I have virtually no immune system, although I am taking prophylactic drugs to come to my rescue if need be.

Fortunately, visitors arrive to help break up the day, to take my mind off the waiting. Without them, I'd be a basketcase, wishing I were sitting on my front lawn sipping tea, or watching Mark & Harry run at Goddard Park, or taking Turbo and Asta for a walk, doing anything, anywhere that wasn't within the confines of this small sterile room, my prison.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Patty,

Visualization seems like good therapy at this time. Any place other than the "prison"

Here's a limerick that came into my head.

THERE ONCE WAS A STRONG WOMAN NAMED PATTY
WHO TOOK SO MANY MEDS, THEY MADE HER BATTY
SHE KEEPS US AWARE SO THAT WE ALL CAN SHARE
WHERE IN HER PLOG CREATIONS
WE CAN POOL OUR ENERGIES TO HELP HER NEW BABY CELLS MIGRATE AND CLONE WITH DIFFERENTIATIONS.

love/marcia

George Jempty said...

Maybe somebody needs to bring you some funny books ;) I don't know about you, but I don't mind reading some books 2, 3 or even 4 times. The one that spring to mind are "A Confederacy of Dunces"; I find new stuff in that one to keep me amused every time, like the letter he forges from an office he is working for, that he addresses to one "Esquire, Mongoloid". I don't know why but that line just got me laughing out loud last time I (re)read Confederacy....

A year or two ago I heard they were going to make a movie out of this book but they were going to cast Will Ferrell as Ignatius. Thank goodness that got torpedoed. I think that rather than a movie it should be made into an opera, with a tenor aria with lyrics such as "My valve...." And if only James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) could sing ;)

Love, your brother, George

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty,
I think of you often and glad to read your blog tonight. The boy's have been running well. Harry has already ran a two PR's and Mark continues to strive forward to be the best. It's a joy to coach the boy's and wish you where hear to see it. Will keep you in our thoughts as the season rolls on.
Coach Dion

Cindy said...

Hi Patty,

I have been keeping up with the cross country news. They are doing great thanks to the strength of your boys.

I think about you all of the time. Keep up the fight and I will keep up the prayers.

Love, Cindy